On June 10, 2014, the Solar Guys closed their doors and went into liquidation. It left behind it a mass of customers wondering who call to claim warranty when something goes wrong. There is some good news.
John Muldoon started Solar Guys way back in 1982. In 2007, it turned into a family affair with his son Dane and his daughter Tessa joining. From all accounts, they ran a reliable and ethical business and installed quality solar system: a rarity in the industry. Their demise came with the decision to purchase and install masses of the now infamously recalled Avanco DC isolator. The responsible company Avancetech folded, leaving the insurmountable financial burden with companies like Solar Guys. This forced their hand to close doors and left their customer with concerns for their warranty. So what’s the damage likely to be?
*DISCLAIMER: MC Electrical is not affiliated with The Solar Guys or any other third party sales companies. If you have warranty or workmanship issues please seek support from your local solar electrician or review the Clean Energy Council dispute and complaints page for support options.
What will it cost me?
- Installer Fault. If it’s an installation issue, only limited problems arise. Your solar can be up and running for less than you will save in a quarter with an operational system.
- Inverter Fault. Providing your Inverter is still under warranty, it’s a little bit of paperwork and a simple changeover. We can normally get your system up and running again for under $200.
- Panel Fault. Providing your panel manufacturer still exists, and they honor the warranty, it can also cost you under $200.
Your Panel Manufacturer Warranty
Solar Guys predominately installed the below list of panels. Manufacturers often replace the part only, but the governments RECS rebate covers the cost of the labor! Other than the service call to diagnose the problem, your system can saving you cash again at no out of pocket cost to you! Panels installed by Solar Guys included:
- Q-Cell panels. Q-Cells are a tier 1 manufacturer; it’s unlikely you have a problem with your Q-Cells. Warranty claims would be a novelty for their staff!
- Jinko Panels. We currently use Jinko panels. They are also tier 1 and manufacture. Given the people we know, warranty won’t be a problem!
- Bosch Panels. Bosch closed their solar panel production line in 2013 due to the formidable competition of Chinese manufacturers. Strangely Bosch has just introduced a new (albeit underwhelming) inverter range. Because of this attempt to re-enter the marketplace, they will fall over themselves trying to prove they are a reliable player should a panel require replacement.
- Silex Panels. Silex is not a tier 1 panel, but we have installed plenty of Silax panels and have not had a Silax warranty claim. No news is good news.
- Kyocera Panels. Kyocera is on the tier 1 list. However, they are not exactly famous for their output. Kyocera, being Kyocera, will come to the party.
- Suntech. Suntech panels are on the 2015 Bloomberg Tier 1 list. It’s still a great panel, and you’ll have no dramas getting a replacement.
Your Inverter Manufacturer Warranty
Your inverter would have come with a five-year warranty. Providing it is within the five years, we can claim a warranty for you. Again, all you may need to pay is the cost of a service call to diagnose the problem! Inverters Solar Guys commonly installed include:
Growatt inverters. Growatt still has a strong presence in Australia, but it would be the weakest point of your installation. The need for claiming a warranty would be likely, but Growatt will cough up.
ABB Inverters. In the past, I considered ABB as the best inverter on the market. Fronius has taken the prized position, but ABB are still going strong. Your 5-year warranty will be valid.
SMA inverters. SMA has gained a reputation in folk law. It’s reputation precedes it: it’s a quality inverter. If your system was installed within the last five years, your SMA warranty is valid.
So it’s not all bad! Give us a call or drop us a line, and we can connect you to someone who can have your solar up and running in no time, and at little out of pocket expense.